13th annual Pigskin Classic kicks off fall sports seasons
Lynx to battle Rough Riders in football opener
August 30. 2013 8:44AM
Brandon Valley fans will find out if 13 is their lucky number or not this Saturday at the 13th annual Pigskin Classic.
The annual event offers a day chocked full of activities for the kids and culminates with the first battle of the season the on gridiron between the Brandon Valley Lynx and visiting Roosevelt Rough Riders from Sioux Falls.
The full lineup of sun up to sun down events will all take place on the Brandon Valley High School campus and at the McHardy Soccer Complex.
The schedule of activities begins early Saturday morning with the registration of the 3K and 5K Walk/Run and the opportunity to reserve seats in the stadium for the big game between the Lynx and the Rough Riders later that evening. Football fans have the opportunity to reserve up to six feet of bleacher space with their own blanket for a minimal $10 fee.
Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.
While the football game is highly anticipated, Lynx sports fans will also want to make sure to cheer on the Lynx club soccer teams as they host Yankton at noon and 2 p.m., respectively. The junior varsity teams take the field at 10 a.m.
In addition to the early morning walk/run and stadium seating reservations, all of the popular family-friendly events are back, including the 3-on-3 basketball tournament for kids in grades 3-8, the youth pedal pull, cheer camp, bean bag toss, inflatables, the evening tailgate party and more.
Planning of the daylong event is annual project of the Brandon Valley Athletic Boosters. It’s their largest fundraising activity of the school year, and proceeds from the day provide perks for the Lynx athletic programs. Some of those perks have included the purchase of uniforms and warm-ups, the flat screen TV in the high school commons, the Lynx murals in the indoor activity center, the wall of recognition, student-athlete scholarships and more.
Organization of the Pigskin Classic is typically a six-month process, but the Booster Club has the event, now in its 13th year, down to a science.
That’s due to a long list of dedicated parent volunteers who repeatedly step up to the challenge.
“Each sport is responsible for something that they have to line up, whether it’s ordering food, organizing the road race or whatever – it’s pretty amazing,” said Randy Marso, activities director at Brandon Valley.
To learn more, see the Booster website, www.bvboosterclub.com.
WHAT’S ON TAP AT 13TH ANNUAL PIGSKIN CLASSIC
Friday, Aug. 30
• 7 to 9 p.m.: BVMS Dance
Saturday, Aug. 31
• 6 a.m. to Noon: BV Booster Club membership sales
• 6:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Reserve stadium seat. For $10, up to 6 feet of bleacher space may be reserved with a blanket.
• 7 to 8 a.m.: 3K Walk/5K Run. Walk/run starts at 8:15 a.m. Entry fee is $20 and include Pigskin t-shirt and gift bag. Registration form available on BVHS Booster Club website.
• 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.: BV Football Boosters & Air Attack Academy Trailer
• 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Concessions available
• 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Medical assistance available by Dr. Brian Dozark of ChiroSport.
• 8 a.m.: 3 on 3 Basketball Tournament for boys and girls in grades 4-8. Entry fee is $60 per team.
• 8:30 a.m.: BV Cheer Camp for grades K-2, 8:30 to 10 a.m.; grades 38, 10:30 a.m. to noon. Entry fee is $20 and includes a Pigskin t-shirt.
• 9 a.m.: Dakota Kid Pedal Pull for ages 4-11. Entry fee is $5 and trophies will be awarded. Event starts about 9:30 a.m.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Inflatables, obstacle course & bouncer for kids. $5 for unlimited use.
• 10 a.m.: BVHS club soccer hosts Yankton at McHardy Park Soccer Complex. 10 a.m., JV girls and JV boys; noon, girls varsity, 2 p.m., boys varsity.
• Brandon EDGE Punt, Pass & Kick for boys and girls 7-14. No fee to participate and trophies will be awarded.
• Knights of Columbus Soccer Challenge for boys and girls 10-14. No fee to participate and trophies will be awarded.
• 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.: Pigskin Classic Tailgater. Pizza Ranch pizza and Sunshine pork loin sandwiches will be available.
• 5:15 to 5:55 p.m.: BV 5th & 6th grades Junior Football exhibition.
• 6:45 p.m.: Game ball arrival by special delivery
• 7 p.m.: Kickoff of BV Lynx and SFR Rough Riders football game.
• Halftime: Pig auction. Pig donated by Bly Brothers, processing donated by Renner Locker & auctioned off by Bob Julson.
To learn more, go to the BVHS Booster Club website, http://brandonvalley.k12.us/boosterclub